PREREQUISITES AND PLACEMENT IN THE CURRICULUM: Students must have completed their M3 Core Clerkships in Medicine and Surgery.
Anesthesiology is a four week elective rotation, offered to the Affiliated and Non-Affiliated Medical Schools. There is only 1 slot offered per month to Non-Affiliated medical schools. However, if there are availabilities, the student coordinator will notify school coordinators.
Students must be from an LCME or AOA accredited medical school.
PURPOSE: The students will be given a general introduction to what an anesthesiologist does professionally. The rotation covers a wide variety of subspecialties including ENT, ophthalmology, general surgery, gynecology, orthopedics and urology. In addition, depending upon the student’s interest, he or she may spend a day in labor and delivery or the pain clinic. Experience includes the insertion of IV catheters, airway, bag and mask management, intubation skills, and regional anesthesia.
1. Responsibility for airway management
2. Management of the placement of peripheral IV’s
3. Evaluation of preoperative and perioperative preparation of patients
4. Assist in Intra-operative anesthetic care
5. Management of postoperative care in the recovery room, surgical ICU and pain management
Required forms can be accessed by visiting: http://www.advocatehealth.com/formsrequirements
Rotations will be CANCELLED if completed forms and information are not received and approved by the Coordinator, Medical Student Affairs a minimum of four (4) weeks prior to the start of the rotation.
Things to know
1. You will receive a hospital ID on your first day. This MUST be worn above the waist and visible
2. Mandatory – You must view the Universal Protocol “Time Out Video.” Video MUST be viewed before rotation start date. Students not complying with this protocol will not be allowed to continue their rotation.
3. Mandatory – Complete the CareConnection (Web-Based Patient Access Database) computer- based training. MUST be viewed before rotation start date.
4. Mandatory – Neptune Surgical Fluid Waste Management System – View PowerPoint before rotation start date. Students not complying with this protocol will not be allowed to continue their rotation.
5. Mandatory – All students must complete a 5 to 10 minute PowerPoint presentation with Anesthesia related content, and turn it into or Email it to the Education Services Coordinator by or before the end of their rotation period.
6. You will receive a conference schedule with details and location of the daily conference meetings
7. An OR locker - will be assigned to you by the Office of Undergraduate Medical Education
8. Scrubs are available in the OR locker room – Scrub Suit Policy will be included in Orientation packet emailed to students before their first day of rotation.
9. Scheduled absences must be approved by Site Preceptor before beginning of rotation.
10. Any unplanned absences must be reported to the Site Coordinator 773-296-5616.
11. All students are required to attend daily morning educational presentations.
Daily Reporting Instructions:
Education Conference in the Anesthesiology Department begin at 6AM on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays; 6:30AM on Tuesdays unless otherwise noted. They take place in Conference Room G34, Center for Education Building (836 West Nelson Street). Tuesday’s location will be either G34 or the Olson auditorium; the lecture schedule will delineate the locations.
After the lecture, report to the OR control desk on the third floor of the hospital. Ask for Dr. Eugene Villa, M.D., the Anesthesiology Student Preceptor. If Dr. Villa is not available, ask for the anesthesia schedule director of the day.
Miller & Pardo, Jr – Basics of Anesthesia (Sixth Edition)
o University of Illinois students should be provided with a copy by their school.
o Student can bring their own textbook or can borrow a copy from the Anesthesiology Department. (If a textbook is borrowed student must return it on last day of rotation.)
All text loaned and not returned to the Anesthesiology Department will result in a fine to cover cost of materials. In addition, this will cause student’s evaluation to be placed on hold.
On final day of rotation: The Student Clearance Form is to be completed and returned to the Site Student Coordinator along with ID badge, Textbook, and parking permit hang tag if applicable.
If Lost/damaged - replacement fees are: (Subject to change)
ID badge - $10.00
Parking Hang Tag - $15.00
Textbook - $60.00
INSTRUCTIONAL FEATURES: Medical students will work together with residents and attendings in assigned operating rooms. The first two weeks involve general anesthesia experience with emphasis on airway management. The last two weeks permit exploration into subspecialty areas including regional anesthesia, obstetrics, and critical care.
Program Number: ELEC 601
Site Director: Eugene Villa, M.D.
Site Coordinator: Dorian Richwell (Interim)
Coordinator Medical Student Affairs: Teresa Johnson
Telephone: 773-296-3584 Fax: 773-296-5051
Duration: 4 Weeks
Night Call: No
Students Accepted: Min. 1 Max. 1
Housestaff Used as Faculty:
Lectures/Conferences/Faculty Contact: Yes
Total Hours /Week:
Reporting Time: 8:30 AM
Location: First Day -
First Day – Unless otherwise noted in reporting instructions email received from Teresa Johnson, Coordinator, Medical Student Affairs report to Conference Room 1801 located in the Main Hospital Building, First Floor for your mandatory orientation, followed by Department Orientation. (Stop by the Reception Desk for directions). Please note: If your first day falls on a legal holiday, contact Teresa Johnson for new orientation date.
Immunization & Compliance forms can be found here.
Note: Clinical electives at Advocate hospitals (ACMC, AIMMC, ALGH) are only available to students from LCME and AOA accredited institutions.