EMERGENCY MEDICINE - UICMC
PREREQUISITES AND PLACEMENT IN CURRICULUM: The 4-week Emergency Medicine elective is geared for those students who plan to apply to EM residencies. The students must have successfully completed core rotations in Internal Medicine, General Surgery, Pediatrics, OB-Gyne, and Psychiatry. Cancellations for the first 3 blocks must be made at least 8 weeks before the rotation or students will receive an incomplete for the elective.
Purpose: To introduce the student to the concepts and skills involved in Emergency Medicine. Students will be exposed to a variety of patients and be actively involved in their care. They will gain experience in assessing patients, deciding on treatments, interpreting testing, and participating in minor surgical emergency procedures.
- gain experience performing rapid clinical assessments with attention to life and limb threats
- obtain a focused history and physical tailored to the patient’s complaint
- formulate appropriately detailed different diagnoses
- develop appropriate, efficient, and cost-effective diagnostic/therapeutic plans
- participate in basic emergency procedures such as suturing, I&D's, resuscitation, and orthopedic reductions
- communicate effectively and build rapport with patients, families, and ED staff
- understand some of the social and medico legal issues that impact emergency care
Instructional Features: Students will work in the ED under the direct supervision of attendings and senior EM residents. Attendance is mandatory at weekly EM residency conferences Thursday 7am-12 pm. Conference topics include grand rounds, specialty lectures, morbidity and mortality cases, small group discussions, SIM labs, and literature reviews. Student workshops including ultrasound, airway, suturing, SIM practice, or case discussions. There will be directed EM readings to be completed during the elective.
Assessment: Clinical performance and conference participation will make up approximately 75% of the grade and a final exam will account for about 25% of the grade.
Program Number: ELEC 603
Telephone: (312) 413-4598
Duration: 4 weeks
Students Accepted: Min. 0 Max. 2
Housestaff Used as Faculty: Yes
Lectures/Conferences/Faculty Contact: 7-13 lecture & conference/faculty supervision fourteen 8 hour shifts in ED.
Laboratory/Independent Study: Required readings /links provided; active use of medical resources during clinical shifts
Outpatient: clinical shifts in Emergency Department
Total Hours/week: 37-45