PREREQUISITES AND PLACEMENT IN THE CURRICULUM: Students must have completed all M3 Core Clerkships, and are in academic good standing. Must be approved by the course directors.
PURPOSE: The purpose of this elective is to give senior medical students an opportunity to learn the educational tools/skills necessary to become one who helps learners learn, in a setting where they may practice and get feedback.
• The ability to give junior students feedback on their interview skills, oral presentations, and write-ups;
• The ability to run a small group (12-14 students) in a manner that maximizes learning;
• The ability to evaluate those they have taught.
INSTRUCTIONAL FEATURES: Students will facilitate small group discussions, small group workshops, hospital/other clinical visits and evaluate write-ups and presentations. There are mandatory development sessions which cover teaching in small groups and giving constructive feedback.
To receive 2 weeks of elective credit, M4 students must:
- Attend 4 training sessions
- At least 7 working group sessions (Friday afternoons from 1:30-3:20pm) of which 2 must be hospital session. Tutors must attend sessions in BOTH semesters
- 1 Vital Signs workshop
- 2 Physical Exam workshops (Spring Semester, Wednesday afternoons in March 1:30-5:20pm)
- Students will also spend time preparing to lead the sessions, reading and critiquing M1 histories, and completing a formative and summative evaluation of each student.
- Specific requirements are subject to change.
You are not automatically excused from rotations for participation in ECM. Flexibility on days off varies with department/site and is at the discretion of the site director. Be sure and request any days off for whatever reason well in advance and be prepared to make up any time missed.ASSESSMENT:
The faculty tutor for the assigned color group will observe and give feedback to participating M4 students.
Program Number: ELEC 838
Program Director: Nimmi Rajagopal, M.D.,
Coordinator: Shila Koswatta Dauner, MPA Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Duration: 2 week credit (Longitudinal)
Night Call: No
Students Accepted: 60
Housestaff Used as Faculty: No
Total Hours /Week:
KEYWORDS: Teaching/Learning; educational tools/skills; feedback; education