PREREQUISITES AND PLACEMENT IN THE CURRICULUM: This 4 week elective is offered in July as a Career Elective intended for UIC students interested in pursuing a career in Ophthalmology.
PURPOSE: A ophthalmology clinical rotation which is primarily for students who are planning a career in ophthalmology and need to learn the proper performance of a basic comprehensive eye examination. The ability to perform a comprehensive eye examination will enable students to evaluate various ocular complaints and to better diagnose eye diseases.
COMPETENCIES: Goals for the fourth year elective include:
• The student should know the essentials of ocular anatomy;
• The student should be able to measure and record visual activities;
• The student should be able to assess pupillary reflexes and ocular motility;
• The student will learn the use of the slit lamp biomicroscopy in order to perform a basic eye examination of the external apparatus and the anterior segment of the eye;
• The student is expected to learn the use of the direct and indirect ophthalmoscope in order to better evaluate the fundus of the eye;
• The student is expected to perform basic tonometry and to evaluate the optic disc for the detection of glaucoma;
• The student is also expected to learn to evaluate visual fields by confrontation examination.
INSTRUCTIONAL FEATURES: Students will have an opportunity to work with residents in the general eye clinic, including emergency eye screening . There are also assignments to the various specialty clinics, e.g ., retina, glaucoma, strabismus, neuro-ophthalmology, pediatrics, and cornea. Operating room experience is also encouraged. In addition, students participate with first-year ophthalmology residents in a special Orientation to Ophthalmology course during the first two-weeks of July. Students are expected to attend the morning lectures as well as grand rounds on Wednesday afternoons.
Program Number: ELEC 639
Program Director: A. Djalilian, MD Coordinators: Amir Mehralian, MD email@example.com or Steve Svoboda firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: 312-996-8936 or 312 355-1883
Duration: 4 Weeks
Night Call: Not mandatory
Students Accepted: Min. 1 Max. 8
Housestaff Used as Faculty: Yes
Lectures/Conferences/Faculty Contact: 15
Laboratory/Independent Study: 0
Total Hours /Week: 40