PREREQUISITES AND PLACEMENT IN THE CURRICULUM: Students must have completed the M3 Core Clerkship in Family Medicine.
PURPOSE: The UIC/Illinois Masonic Family Practice Outpatient Experience was developed as an opportunity for the 4th-year medical student to experience what it is like to be a family physician.
COMPETENCIES: At completion, the student will be expected to accomplish the following objectives:
• To assess and manage acute and chronic medical problems frequently encountered in the community;
• To provide anticipatory health care using education, risk reduction, and health enhancement strategies;
• To provide and coordinate comprehensive care of complex and severe problems using biomedical, social, personal, economic, and community resources, including consultation and referral; and
• To establish effective physician-patient relationships by using appropriate interpersonal communication skills to provide quality health care.
• Case Management Problems -- the student will be given a “paper-case” per week. The student will then develop a management plan which will be discussed with the rotation coordinator.
• Modeling -- the student will be exposed to different teaching attendings in their practice settings.
• Preceptorship -- the student will be expected to see patients in the family practice center, to discuss the patient’s problems with the preceptor, and to develop management plans.
• Attendance of Friday conference is mandatory. It is a part of the rotation.
ASSESSMENT: The rotation coordinator will assess the students’ work regarding the case management problems. The preceptor will assess the students’ skills in the office setting.
ADMINISTRATIVE INFORMATION: Please contact Teresa Johnson at AIMMC directly to determine if space is available in the desired time slot. E-mail Teresa.Johnson@advocatehealth.com or call 773-296-3584.
Program Number: ELEC 687
Site Director: R.Guthman, M.D., Teresa Johnson (Coordinator)
Duration: 4 Weeks
Night Call: No
Students Accepted: Min. 1 Max. 1
Housestaff Used as Faculty: No
Lectures/Conferences/Faculty Contact: 5
Laboratory/Independent Study: 0
Total Hours /Week: 40
Students should report to Advocate Family Practice Center at Ravenswood, 4600 N. Ravenswood 2nd floor, Chicago, IL 60640. Rotation schedule will be e-mailed to student one to two week(s) before rotation begins. Reporting time, and preceptor student should report to for orientation, will be identified on rotation schedule.
Effective immediately, Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center's Department of Medical Education will strictly enforce its policy that students submit required paperwork at least four weeks before the start of their rotation. This policy is available on our website at http://www.advocatehealth.com/body.cfm?id=1113. The policy states: "Once a rotation is scheduled or approved, the following forms and information must be received by the Coordinator a minimum of four (4) weeks prior to the rotation start date. Information should be submitted via e-mail, if at all possible, to the Coordinator (See Site Specific Information). Students must follow-up with the Coordinator to ensure paperwork has been received and processed.
Immunization & Compliance forms can be found here.
Rotations will be cancelled if forms and information are not complete and approved a minimum of four (4) weeks prior to the start of the rotation.
Note: Clinical electives at Advocate hospitals (ACMC, AIMMC, ALGH) are only available to students from LCME and AOA accredited institutions.