PREREQUISITES AND PLACEMENT IN THE CURRICULUM: Students must have completed the M3 Core Clerkship in Pediatrics
PURPOSE: The Pediatric Cardiology elective will provide comprehensive clinical experience in the primary and consultative pediatric cardiology.
COMPETENCIES: Upon completion of the elective, the student will be able to:
- Perform an accurate and complete history and physical exam, witht he primary focus being Pediatric Cardiology (i.e. evaluation of murmurs, rhythm, pulses)
- Learn to develop and execute a manaagement plan for patients, including diagnostic workup and specific treatment options in the field of pediatric Cardiology for both acute and chronic disorders
- Evaluate and obtain better understanding of Pediatric EKGs
- Evaluate newborn with heart murmur
- Learn to assess and manage patients with: Chest Pain, Syncope, Endocarditis/Myocarditis, Congenital Cardiac Malformations such as Hypoplastic Left Heart, Tetralogy of Fallot, Truncus Arteriosus, Transposition of the Great Vessels, Arrythmias, Prolonged QT disease, Cardiomyopathy, and Wolf-Parkinson White Disease
- Understand usage of Tilt table testing and Stress Testing
- Be able to retrieve and ssimilate specific evidence and knowledge into their patient care activities
- Be able to effectively interact in a consistently professional and empathetic manner with patients' families and medical personnel
- Understand how to partner with health care managers, social workers, and other providers to assess, coordinate, and improve overall quality of health care
INSTRUCTIONAL FEATURES: The student will receive ongoing daily bedside teaching with daily inpatient rounds and oupatient clinic. There are four didactic lectures/week, one conference/week, daily case reviews and weekly literature reviews.
Pediatrics E&M Conference (E&M = evaluation and management): This is a an educational enhancement specifically designed for the M4 student in Pediatrics - a case-based learning session designed to focus on issues that you likely will face as residents. All students on pediatrics electives will gather at 8am every Wednesday of the four week block, in the 5W Pediatrics conference room on the 5th floor of the hospital.
ASSESSMENT: Performance is reviewed by the attending physicians on the Cardiology service.
Program Number: ELEC 739
Coordinator: Ellen Metzger email@example.com
Duration: 4 weeks
Night Call: No
Students Accepted: Min. 1, Max. 1
Housestaff Used as Faculty: No
Lectures/Conferences/Faculty Contact: 10
Independent Study: 3
Total Hours/Week: 40-45
Immunization & Compliance forms can be found here.