PREREQUISITES AND PLACEMENT IN THE CURRICULUM: Students must have completed the M3 Core Clerkship in Pediatrics
PARTICIPATING FACULTY: Larry Desch, M.D.
PURPOSE: The Pediatric Development elective will provide comprehensive clinical experience in primary and consultative pediatric development.
COMPETENCIES: Upon completion of the elective the student will be able to:
- Perform an accurate and complete history and physical exam, with the primary focus being Pediatric Development
- Learn to develop and execute a management plan for patients, including diagnostic workup and specific treatment options in the field of Pediatric Development for both acute and chronic disorders
- Learn to assess and manage patients with: Autism, Developmental Delay, Syndromes, Craniofacial Abnormalities, Trisomy 21, Digeorge Disease, Spina Bifida, ADHD, Fragile X Disease, and Chromosomal Abnormalities
- Be able to retrieve and assimilate specific evidence and knowledge into their patient care activities
- Be able to effectively interact in a consistently professional and empathetic manner with patient’s familes and medical personnel
- Understand how to partner with health care managers, social workers, and other providers to assess, coordinate, and improve overall quality of health care
- All competencies of Patient Care, Medical Knowledge, Practice Based Learning, Communication, Professionalism, and Systems-Based Practice will be consistently addressed by meeting the above learning objectives.
INSTRUCTIONAL METHOD: The student will receive ongoing daily bedside teaching with daily rounds and outpatient clinic:
- four didactic lectures/week
- weekly literature reviews
ASSESSMENT: Performance is reviewed by the attending physician on the Developmental service.
Program Number: ELEC 261
Location: Advocate Christ - Hope Children's Hospital: Pediatric Development
Program Director: Ellen Metzer, Sonali Mehta, M.D., FAAP
Duration: 4 weeks (Only 4 week experiences can serve as Medical Selectives.)
Night Call: NO
Students Accepted: Min. 1 Max. 1
Housestaff Used as Faculty: NO
Lectures/Conferences/Faculty Contact: 10
Independent Study: 3
Total Hours/Week: 40